Tuesday, December 2, 2008

past lives, present lives

I don't think I've ever talked about reincarnation here, but it is something I believe. Along with reincarnation, I believe in something called pre-birth planning. That basically means we all plan the major & most of the not so major things that occur in this life for the purpose of learning valuable lessons. I just got through the book Courageous Souls: Do We Plan Our Life Challenges Before Birth? by Robert Schwartz. It is a wonderful read, and completely inspiring. It's one thing to believe in pre-birth planning. It's another to read someone's life story and then learn why they chose to go through certain challenges (like alcoholism, paralysis, blindness, or the loss of a loved one), and find out what their souls were hoping to learn from it. I will have to give it another read through just to help sink the message into my being.

A quote from the book concerning things we perceive as tragedy:

There is always a reason...The true measure of a person's evolution is their ability to turn a negative into a positive. To dwell on the negative and use judgment and fear-based thought would not feed the truth of the matter such as this. The concern should always be how to make the most positive use of one's time, whether one's time is in a wheelchair or running a marathon. There is always a positive and negative. Such is the duality of Earth.

...

We would ask those of you who find yourselves thinking judgmental thoughts about the perpetrators of what you see as harm to know that there is always a positive outcome to be served by the misery. We would say to you that misery is the illusion. We would say that people who open a newspaper or turn on their television, see world events, and judge them as negative are simply taking the easy road and not thinking things through. There is always something deeper. There is always something more. There is always meaning. We hope that the examples in this book will help to teach people to think two and three times about the meaning and value of diversity and how it is the catalyst to growth.

page 308
It makes me reflect again on the people I have had in my life. I don't know even half of the reasons why I chose to have various people in my life. I do have a feeling why I have certain members of my family though.

Mother: To teach me that I am not responsible for other people's happiness. To do what I can but not to feel guilty or burdened by her decisions.

Father: To teach me not to rely on anther's words and opinions for self-esteem and self-worth. Yet to love them despite their sometimes seemingly cruel actions.

Brother: Oh boy, he is a toughy. It is literally only this year that I've been able to come to terms with him. To teach me to love someone in spite of actions that I highly disapprove of. To love in spite of actions they have taken against me. Even if it means cutting myself from their life so that I don't reciprocate the negativity said person is living. This past Thanksgiving was the first time in a long, long time that I've been able to spend an evening in his presence, not gripe at him, not take offense from him, and actually enjoy myself because of his company.

My Husband: To help me learn to love myself.

There have been situations that at the time seemed like the worst thing that could be happening to me. But because of those situations I have learned some hard lessons really quickly, and am grateful for them now. They may not have been anything compared to blindness or paralysis, but in my bubble sphere, it was equatable.

No comments: