Wednesday, March 4, 2009

the sugar experiment

I am a bit of a sugar addict. I don't know an average person's sugar cravings but I am always in the mood for sugar, unless I just finished overdosing on it. Brownies, ice cream, cinnamon buns, pie, cookies, cupcakes, chocolate... the list goes on and I always desire it. Just a couple weeks ago I make some brownies, bought some vanilla ice cream, and had the combination of the two for dinner every night that week. That is not good, at all.

So this week I'm consciously trying to not eat (junk) sugar except:
  • When I add it to coffee.
  • Dark chocolate.
  • If someone gives me some for whatever reason (ie a co-worker brings in leftover birthday cake)
The last one hasn't happened in a while but if it did I know I'd eat it, or regret not eating free cake.

I have already said "No" to the Starbucks cupcakes and tarts, and have passed up a couple sugar opportunities. I think I can keep this up, and I want to as well. I also want to see if my sugar scale-down has any effect on my body. Sugar can really bloat a person and is just plain unhealthy.

Now I just need to up my calcium and protein intake. How pitiful a person's diet can become if you stop being mindful of it, and let it fall to the wayside. But I'm always up for attempting again and again at making it healthy, so I don't beat myself up over it. It's just interesting that several months ago I was eating quinoa, fresh veggies, brown rice and eggs, and then reverted back to easy, sugar fixes. Don't worry, Quinoa, I haven't forgotten you yet!

No comments: