Sunday, May 3, 2009

it pains my heart; my heart bursts

I just finished watching a 2001 documentary called Life and Debt which is "a feature-length documentary which addresses the impact of the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the Inter-American Development Bank and current globalization policies on a developing country such as Jamaica." Oh I am quite aware of how various countries exploit the weak & poor, but getting down to the details always makes my heart hurt. But then it swells my heart with more compassion to want to do something, anything, to help, even if it's so slight that I don't know if it's making a real difference. I just want to try.

I think now I am finally ready to commit to buying fair trade clothing, period. It is much more affordable to buy now than it was even 5 years ago. There are more places online to purchase affordable fair trade clothing from various co-ops from all over the world. The thought of my shirt or jeans coming from a "free zone" in Jamaica, a sweat shop in China, India, Honduras, Pakistan, anywhere, is weighing on my conscious more and more. I am fortunate enough to live in America, to not be of the poorer class in this country, and to be able to afford things that the vast majority of this world cannot. The country I live in exploits the world just so I can afford my relatively luxurious life. I need to do as much as I can, one step at a time. And this is my next step.

This is why I love blogging. I love committing my thoughts, my insights, my goals in written format available for whoever to see. If I am lucky enough, it inspires others to live to their highest potential. But mostly I do it for myself. To help center my thoughts and orient my path. This particular blog has been active for a year now, and is one I dearly cherish. Thank you (the other) Lea from Ocean of Perspectives for thinking of me.

4 comments:

Lea said...

The award looks very nice on your site Lea :D

I'm aware of sweat shop conditions in several countries and would like to see this change. I hadn't heard of fair trade clothing, so I'm going to have to do a search on it and where to buy.

Thank you for sharing this information. Wishing you many blessings

LoveLightPeace said...

Here's an easy place to start in your fair trade clothing research

http://delicious.com/mooie_ziel/clothing

These are sites I tagged from a Google search I did. The FairIndigo.com site looks particularly good :)

consciousconsumer said...

Consumers should not assume that because something is labelled Fair Trade it necessarily costs more... you will find that more and more Fair Trade products are priced on par to mass produced products.

Fair Trade products are made to a high standard and are normaly hand crafted and limited in quantity, making the poduct you purchase unique.

The www.consciousconsumer.co.uk an online Fair Trade boutique made a conscious decision to sell stylish and affordable Fair Trade products. Just for the very reasons you all put forward.

Lea said...

Thank you for the link, I'm checking it out now :)