Saturday, June 20, 2009

this is why

My massage clinics are going very well. I need just one more to complete my CMT. I did two yesterday (my first minor and first male), and did two more today (a lady and my husband).

Yesterday was interesting in that both of the clients gave me a 4 out of 5 on the feedback form but didn't give me any written comments, like how I could improve or whatnot. Before that I always got back some form of written feedback. I prefer written feedback so I know where I am strong and where I am weak. Anywho, this was beneficial to me in a different way. It just reminded me (as my husband first pointed out) that I had to be okay with not always knowing if they loved it, meh-ed it, or hated it. I just have to do the best I can and let happen whatever happens for them.

Plus, I have a perfectionist tendency which isn't really healthy or beneficial for this line of work. There is a lot of talk about how as a person working in the healing arts you just have to provide a safe, loving space for your client to heal. You are not the one healing them; you are just providing them the opportunity and space for them to heal themselves. You cannot inflict your ego on them. If the client is not open to healing while you are providing your service, then you cannot take that personally at all: you cannot let your ego invade their safe, loving space. Once you let your ego do that, then it becomes about you and not the client, which is counter to what the intention should be. This is one of the hardest things to grasp and keep tabs on when working in the healing arts.

My other clinic today was also a godsend. She came in 10 minutes late for her appointment, was stressed out already since there was a lot of traffic & she got lost. I told her she had to fill out the consent and background forms before receiving her massage, that her massage would have to be abbreviated since she was late and I had another client after her. Man, she was not happy about that at all. She started saying how if she knew that she would have canceled, asking "Is this even worth it now?" "Do I really have to fill these out now, we're already wasting time?" and so on. I told her she really did need to fill out the forms first and could cancel if she wanted since I didn't want to force her to do something she didn't want to do. However, she just hastily filled them out (with a huff) and soon enough I was massaging her.

She got a little chatty halfway into the massage, making politce conversation. At one point she asked what made me get into this line of work. I told her, "I want to help people, that there were a lot of stressed out people who need help." After I said that a little switch in my head flipped on and mentally I added, "I'm doing this for you." It made me chuckle on the inside and made the situation 100% better. After the massage the lady was quite noticeably happier and relaxed (despite the time constraint). She basically apologized for her behavior earlier, saying she understood that I couldn't give her the whole hour. She asked how to go about scheduling her next massage. I wished her a good day, gave her a half-hug, and she went merrily on her way. She definitely reminded me why stressed out people need to relax and sometimes need help doing so :)

No comments: